Every Sunday children of all ages begin in the sanctuary with their parents for the first 10-15 minutes of the service for opening words, call to worship, announcements, singing, etc.
- As parents and children (ages 5 and up) are comfortable, they are invited to line up at the back sanctuary door after an announcement about the Godly Play story for the day.
- They are then escorted across the walkway into the community room to continue in worship as a community of young people.
- Godly Play is a Montessori-based curriculum which is grounded in storytelling (with wooden figures) by a trained storyteller, followed by a reflection time (with beautiful art materials) and then a feast, where the children lead in serving and then enjoy being in community with one another, sharing about their week or whatever is on their mind.
- There are always two adults in the room: a storyteller and a “shepherd.” Children are then either walked back to the sanctuary for the closing song (or for communion on the first Sunday of the month) OR parents meet their child in the community room following the service (where the fellowship time of coffee and goodies with all ages takes place).
- Additionally, children are welcome to stay in the service with their parent(s) during all of worship in the sanctuary, Sunday.